Sunday, September 19, 2010

Dr. Tritobia H. Benjamin lecture. charles harris

Dr. Tritobia H. Benjamin

Charles harris
02653030
Freshmen seminar was on the 3rd guess speaker this week. This was my favorite lecture thus far. It touched on the legacy of Howard University, and why this is such a historic places because of the people who made it historic and the people currently keeping it historic. She touched on how Howard University was started it was opened by the republicans as a college for freed slaves. What this means is that beyond contrary belief Howard University being a historically black school and was started by white men. In fact the school had white presidents till the 13th year when Mordecai Wyatt Johnson became the first African American president of the university. Because of this historic achievement the administration building here is named after him. Another great Howard personality Inabel Burns Lindsay is worked to establish the school and became its first dean Lindsay in 1945. She served in this capacity for 22 years. She was a champion for social work, civil rights and social work education for all people. There were too many great people in this blog to mention all so I just named a few. The reason this was my favorite lecture so far was because I learned so much about Howard University and so much about to greats who went here. It really inspired me to take this opportunity that so many don’t have and really use to catapult myself. To really be the best I can because if they were able to do with they did facing thing like racism and all the other problems they dealt with there is no reason I shouldn’t be able to succeed because I have it 100 times easier than they did.  

No comments:

Post a Comment